Saturday, July 25, 2015

SERIOUS NOSTALGIA - Gentle Giant's GI Joe "Grunt"

Many collectors have enjoyed the Gentle Giant Jumbo Kenner Star Wars line over the last 3-4 years. Those reproductions of our favorite 3-3/4" line at 12 inch scale have been a great trip down nostalgia lane.

I've been hoping GG would give the same treatment to Hasbro's GI Joe: A Real American Hero figures that were first released in 1982.  Last year, GG displayed them at NYCC and SDCC. The current lineup (all up for preorder) include Grunt, Rock-N-Roll, Stalker, Snake-Eyes and Zap.

At this time, Grunt was only a SDCC exclusive. Instead of a large repro card like the Kenner Star Wars figures, this figure came in a great 1960s GI Joe footlocker box.

When I finally opened this up, it totally took me back to getting that first GI Joe: ARAH figure. My first one was Short-Fuze, the mortar soldier. Anyway, this figure's looks is dead on the original,and so much to have at 1/6th scale. Can't wait for the rest.













2 comments:

  1. That's cool that they're doing Joe in this scale. I want to say my first was Clutch or Flash. Probably Flash because he was more sci-fi looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dex. I am definitely excited about this line. Flash was very iconic - so cool looking.

    ReplyDelete