Thursday, January 9, 2020

Toys That Time Forgot - Volume 2 by Blake Wright

Years ago while surfing the internet, I came across a cool website called LittlePlasticMen.com. On the website were four downloadable magazines by the website owner and author Blake Wright. I downloaded them and loved them. What was cool about the magazine were the articles about the economics and behind the scenes happenings that make the toy industry go, and why lines succeed or fail.

I took the PDFs to the UPS store and had them printed as glossy magazines, and added them to my collection of Toyfare, Tomart's, Lee's and Playset Magazine.



One of the articles in the magazine was about unproduced toys. My heart sank when I read about how the end of the Palisades Muppet line (one of my favorite) was the demise of the upcoming Sesame Street line.

You can see on many toy blogs and forums how fans will clamor for figures but not understand the economics of getting a toy to market.  "If only they made figure x and line y, they would sell out." Well, actually not. In reality there are only a few of us who collect this stuff. Not enough for a company to make a profit and make series 2 or 3.

That is where Toys That Time Forgot Volumes 1 and 2 come in. In creating his magazine, Blake put together the first volume via Kickstarter, and explored the world of unproduced toys or unfinished toy lines. Included in Volume 1 was the Dark Crystal, Krull and plenty more.

Volume 2 was also produced via Kickstarter. I just received it. It is amazing. A lot more photos of concept sketches and business documents. My most anticipated section was the one about the PopCo Harry Potter line in the UK.



Also, a great surprise was the section on McFarlane's Warriors of the Zodiac. I am sure connecting with McFarlane was a challenge.

When Volume 1 came out, I was hoping for a sequel and hoped McFarlane's Zodiac line would be in it. I remember seeing presales for Series 2. 

my-toys-that-time-forgot


You can purchase directly from Blake at the Toys That Time Forgot facebook page. They are also available at Big Bad Toy Store - TTTF 2.

Pick up a copy before they're gone. Volume 1 sold out fairly quickly.

3 comments:

  1. Its the same story with many defunct toylines that started off great but wound up cancelled. Its rare that any toyline makes it past the first series even. I wish that many of the proposed toys for Kenner's Super Powers Collection had been made! Its all about economics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a big section on Kenner Super Powers in this second volume. Very interesting.

      Delete
  2. I have watched all parts. It’s very good animated movie for kids as well as for adults. I like all characters and I have some star wars characters in my room and I play with them. All are awesome for me. Thanks for sharing your post. toys for kids

    ReplyDelete