Monday, May 20, 2024

The "World's Greatest Toys! Digest" Magazine Journey - Part 3 - Mego to Marvel Famous Covers

As I was reading through the ten issues of World's Greatest Toys! Digest, I thought I might pick up a few new or vintage MEGO figures. I didn't collect any of their superheroes in the past, though I did have a Hulk as a kid. I had purchased a few new Star Trek and Planet of the Apes figures in recent years. I remember seeing a Reverse Flash at Walmart a few days earlier. I also remember having a few Marvel Famous Cover figures back in the early 2000s. So I checked out Ebay and purchased a Marvel Famous Cover Iron Man and grabbed that Reverse Flash. 

After I posted photos of Iron Man on my Instagram, I received a comment from Carbon Scoring who said he did a video on the entire Marvel Famous Covers line on his YouTube channel. I watched it. It was fantastic. Then I decided to build out the entire set. There are only 34 figures/sets, not including the X-Men movie sets. Most you can find for under $10. 

But first - here is Reverse Flash and Iron Man. 

Over the next few days, I'll take you through the Marvel Famous Covers line, then some of my other Mego toys I've purchased recently. 








As I mentioned, looking at all the MEGO toys got me thinking about my old set of Marvel Famous Covers. I remember buying about ten of them altogether on clearance at Kaybee Toys for about $10 a pop. I never removed the figures from the package and later sold them off to make space for something else. As you can see, the Famous Cover figures are a bit larger than their Mego counterparts.








2 comments:

  1. Nice! I had Thor back in the day. He was pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a great series. Glad I finally unpackaged them too.

      Delete