Monday, September 12, 2016

Pop Culture League: Buying Blind

This week's Pop Culture League Assignment: Buying Blind

The question? Who doesn't love gambling on a blind box or mystery package?

Well - that is the dilemma.  I like the figures and would buy them outright if they sold them unblind. I guess there is a little fun with wondering what you will end up with.  My daughter and I have enjoyed the LEGO mystery minifigs. We've even grabbed a few Playmobil mystery bags.

Funko has emptied my wallet a plenty with it's Walking Dead and Sci-Fi series. Whoever does the sculpts on those figures as earned my business with other series - Fallout, Supernatural, Horror and Suicide Squad.

Walking Dead 1

Walking Dead 2

Walking Dead 3

Walking Dead 4

Fallout 4

Supernatural

Sci-Fi







I think I like the mini figures more than the mystery of them. I was also a fan of Hasbros' Combat Heroes (GI Joe), Superhero Squad (Marvel), and Adventure Heroes (Indiana Jones).

Yes, the sculpting definitely has something to do with it. As much as I love Game of Thrones, and I wanted to collect the Funko Game of Thrones Mystery Minis, I just didn't like the sculpts. The plastic was lighter, more hollow, and the bigger heads made them look like mini bobble heads. Not my cup of tea.

Finally, as these get more expensive ($6.99+), the cost of doubles becomes more irritating.


So my strategy is to buy a case, and then Ebay the rest if the prices are reasonable.

More from the league.

The Last Hometown Finds Horror 3

I am jealous of the Green Plastic Squirtgun's collection

Alexis' Universe has another awesome collection

20 Years Before 2000 and the Garbage Pail Kids

Harvey Mercheum - ready to make his own with 3D printing

6 comments:

  1. thats a great collection! Im still missing so many of them Im not sure Ill ever complete a set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still can't believe how much the exclusive Rosita goes for.

      Delete
    2. oh I know, Im not even willing to pay the $40 for Eugene .300 for her will never happen.

      Delete
  2. I am hunting for that Voltron Funko mini! We have a Hastings store that is going out of business and I have been buying them there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check if I have an extra. Just need to remember where I put the extras.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, that's a lot of blind buys. ;)

    ReplyDelete