Monday, April 25, 2016

V is for Vietnam

When 21st Century Toys released their 1:18 WWII action figures, exclusive to Toys R Us, I was psyched. Finally, a nicely articulated set of 3-3/4" soldiers, including Allies and Axis. It was perfect timing with the release of Saving Private Ryan and the resurgence of the 12 inch GI Joes in the late 90s, early 2000s.

The line seemed to be a success. So 21st Century followed it up with a bunch of Vietnam figures. I liked them a lot but had just hit one of those lulls where I didn't want to start a new collection. Then I saw them on clearance and still didn't grab them.

There are hardly any collectibles/toys around the Vietnam war.

Years later, when I wanted to back track this collection, I had some sticker shock. The US figures can be bought for a few dollars each but the Viet Cong and NVA soldier will cost you between $20-30 per figure.  The Huey helicopter is also very pricey, coming in over $200.











1 comment:

  1. My apologies if you saw a nearly blank posting earlier. I had it scheduled and hadn't finished it. Was watching the Blackhawks - St. Louis Blues game 7 Monday night. It was the easiest posting ever.

    ReplyDelete