Sunday, July 18, 2021

Honoring the 54th Massachusetts - The Attack on Fort Wagner

First off, if you haven't watched the movie Glory with Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, and Matthew Broderick, I highly recommend it. It is on my Top 5 all time movie list. It tells the story of the first Black Union Infantry regiment out of Massachusetts, the 54th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment.  A very powerful story and very well done.





Ever since I saw that movie back in 1991 I've collected toy soldiers of the 54th. The 12 inch Joes are all custom kitbashes. I recently purchased a nice set of metal soldiers depicting the 54th on Ebay. As I was searching for more, I came across new plastic sets from a company called A Call To Arms based in the UK. Finally, plastic soldiers of the 54th to create a large army. I plan on a big diorama and may be tempted to paint these. I don't typically paint my plastic soldiers but I'd like to try it on these. 

By the way, today - July 18 - is the anniversary of the Attack on Fort Wagner which is the climactic battle at the end of the movie.






































































No comments:

Post a Comment