Thursday, April 2, 2020

The Year of Joe Took a Slight Detour

As you know, 2020 was to be the Year of Joe - a focus on building my GI Joe collection from the years 1982-1987.  I went to a model train show near DC hoping to find some odds and ends. There are always a few toy dealers with non-train toys there as well. I did not find a single Joe, but I did find a box of Playmates Star Trek. In particular, I saw a LT Saavik from the Wrath of Khan.

I did purchase a collection of the Diamond Select Wrath of Khan 7 inch figures years ago.

I've never been a big Star Trek fan but picked up a few Playmates back in the day. Also, I loved the Wrath of Khan...one of the few I enjoyed.  And the packaged Playmates figures are so cheap. I have also grown to appreciate the sculpting and scale a lot as well.

Anyway, I didn't buy any of those - should have - but then starting surfing around Ebay. I found a packaged lot of 50 for relatively cheap. And then it started - I had to get the classic figures, then the movie figures, then the classic pilot figures, and then on and on. The coronavirus stopped me but I got to a good place which should give me plenty of material to do some cool dioramas.

So, to start - these are the figures from the pilot episode - The Cage - which did not have Captain Kirk. Rather it had Captain Pike. Spock was there. And of course Vina, the green girl. I would rather they had the human version of Vina.

There is at least nine points of articulation for most of these figures.  Vina's arms and legs don't bend. The Talosian's arms bend but his cloak covers the arms and doesn't really allow him the bend the arms. Oh well.  I always liked that Playmates added accessories and kept costs down by molding all the accessories in one color. Works for me.

Anyway - I present you with the four Classic figures from Playmates Star Trek - from the pilot episode - The Cage.



































6 comments:

  1. If you need a checklist, I got you covered.

    http://thetoybox1138.blogspot.com/2014/02/star-trek-playmates-toys.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great list. Took a quick scan. Will dive into it more tomorrow. On the Joe front, just missed out on a reasonably priced lot of Joes and a Killer Whale - no box. Maybe next time.

      Delete
    2. Downer! What figures were in the lot?

      Delete
    3. Shipwreck, Falcon, Flint, Cobra Commander, Cobra Eel, Cobra Soldier. Maybe next time.

      Delete