Saturday, May 15, 2021

Marx Famous WW2 Battle Navarone Giant Playset

So I had this playset as a kid. Who knows what happened to it? Garage sale likely. I've been searching for one of these for a long time - specifically this version of the box. Luckily I recently found one where the box was in stellar shape. It didn't have any of the US soldiers but I was primarily looking for the mountain with most of the accessories and the German soldiers. 

Funny thing is...I only found out about two years ago that Navarone was not a real WW2 battle - the playset was based off the movie Guns of Navarone only, starring Gregory Peck and Anthony Quinn. I rewatched the movie last week. It wasn't that good. It was almost three hours long. They really dragged it out. Still - the playset is phenomenal.

Interestingly, while I was photographing the box, it doesn't show Marx as the manufacturer. This version comes from Mego. Need to find out what happened. It's a mystery. While I know Marx was acquired and flipped a few times, I did not know about it's connection to Mego, unless Mego licensed or borrowed the molds.



































2 comments:

  1. I feel like Marx morphed into Mego and then Mego morphed into Remco and then Remco morphed into Lanard. I know I'm 100 percent wrong even though that sounds 100 percent right 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are probably 100% right. Sounds reasonable to me.

      Delete