Friday, November 3, 2023

One Sixth Memories - 2000 - The Korean War

This November, I will take you all down on a trip of memory lane from 2000-2007 when I first started taking diorama photos of my toys, namely my 1/6 scale GI Joe collection. Some intense backyard battles are coming. 

I had just left the military after 11 years and bought my first home out in the Southwest. This was the fall of 2000. From November 1997 through June of 1999, I spent my Army time in Korea. While home on leave and traveling between duty stations, I started picking up the new 1/6th scale GI Joes. Besides Hasbro, some great figures were coming out from 21st Century (same price point as Hasbro) and Dragon (a bit higher price point). Had some great figures frmo Cotswold Collectibles Elite Brigade line as well.

One weekend, I decided to take some Joes out to the backyard for some simple dioramas. I shot the photos on 35mm film. I remember having to wait for 24 hour photos to be developed.  

This is a simple diorama that I did based on a famous photo I had seen of the Korean War. The Indian Head patch is from the 2nd Infantry Division - The Warrior Division. That is the division I served in during my time in Korea. The uniforms with the patches came from the cheap Soldiers of the World line found in Walmart and KMart. 
















2 comments:

  1. Is is common for folks to try and recreate photos like this? If so, I don't recall seeing anyone do it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really. I just always had that photo stuck in my head for some reason.

      Delete