Sunday, June 7, 2020

Star Wars - Return of the Jedi - Quarantine Movie and Toy Review

Been a busy week. Started a new job so kind of focused on that. I watched Return of the Jedi awhile ago so I am catching up.

So let's go with the rankings.

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi
5. Solo

What I Liked:
1. The whole rescue in Jabba's Palace and the Barge.
2. The array of alien characters in the Palace and Barge. It wasn't until 2019 that I noticed Bossk and Dengar on the Barge.
3. Endor - the forest environment - and the speeder bike chase.
4. Biker Scout uniforms
5. Nien Numb
6. Admiral Ackbar
7. The assault on the Death Star though it was a repeat of a New Hope. Kind of cool how they went inside it while it was still being built.
8. The Jedi Spirits - the one with Sebastian Shaw, not Hayden.
9. Toy wise - I never bought any when they came out. Funny thing is, years later when I was a senior in high school, I recall figures still peg warming "just a bit ago-they must still be there", so one Saturday I went to every toy store I could find and didn't find a single Gamorrean Guard or B-Wing pilot. I swear they should have still been there.
10. The despecialized version.
11. Hasbrolab giving us the Barge as a crowd sourced playset that would never have seen the light of day in normal retail

What I didn't Like:
1. I didn't hate the Ewoks when it came out. It was only years later where I found them a bit annoying - teddy bears taking on the Empire. I get what Lucas was trying to do. Years later, I began to appreciate them. So, as a whole, it's a draw.
2. Luke and Leia being siblings. Ugh!



Here are the toys. Once again, you've all probably seen hundreds of Return of the Jedi toys, especially the originals, so here I show a few that were not made as part of the original 93.

Return of the Jedi came at an interesting time. I was going into Junior High, focused on girls and sports. While I was excited to but the Return of the Jedi figures when I saw them, I ended up not getting a single one. Not one. Also, at first I was really intriqued by all the figures from Jabba's palace...the aliens. But then I really gravitated towards the Endor figures, probably because they were fighting in a forest and wearing forest camouflage.

Right now, I have no idea where all my ROTJ Aliens and Ewok figures are, given that I recently built dioramas from them and did not return them to their proper storage container. So here are links to previous posts.

Ewok Collection - Video to the Original Celebration Song

Disney Plush Ewoks

Lego Ewok Village

Preparing for the Barge

Jabba's Sail Barge

Cantinapalooza


Who would have thought we would have gotten a Slave Leia?














No comments:

Post a Comment